If you enjoy the great outdoors, and you like to explore, you will enjoy the Sierra Pelona Rock Club.
We host monthly meetings that are educational as well as fun. We often show presentations about rocks, gems, minerals, lapidary, fossils and geology, where you can learn how to identify rocks and minerals and see demonstrations on equipment in a learning environment. There is a relaxed atmosphere at our meetings where families, and rockhounds can socialize and see some of earth’s treasures displayed at every meeting. We encourage all members to display materials at our meetings.
We also host monthly field trips where we visit the deserts, mountains and beaches to collect rocks and minerals, while enjoying the beauty nature has to offer.
Our Membership process is as simple as printing our membership application and bringing it to one of our General Meetings that are held on the third Tuesday of every month, except July and August when the club is on hiatus, and attending one field trip.
Potential members must attend one (1) General Meeting and one (1) field trip before membership can be voted in by The Board. Voting by The Board will take place the following Business meeting preceding the attendance of one General Meeting and one field trip. Membership fees will be accepted upon receipt of welcome packet, which will be at the following General Meeting.
Click here for Membership Application.
Email email@example.com for meeting address.
Please visit our Calendar for up-to-date meetings and field trip information.
You may also pick up an application at any of our General Meetings.
Outstanding Member Benefits
Although membership in the Sierra Pelona Rock Club is not free, for what members get in benefits, it is not expensive either. Dues are needed to pay for continuing operations, such as our newsletter, our website, CFMS dues, purchase, and maintenance of equipment owned by the club, and many other incidental expenses that keep the club running.
Here are some of the benefits of membership:
- The Pelonagram monthly newsletter
- Club-led field trips
- Monthly educational and informative meetings
- Availability and use of club equipment
- Tumbling grits free of charge
- Priority for carpooling on field trips
- Limited special instructions by Club members
- Free use of the Club’s extensive library
- Free Club Identification badges
- Club’s Travertine claim (one of the best in the USA)
- Club roster
- Initiation package to all new members
- Annual Holiday
- Annual picnic
- Distinctive Sierra Pelona hats and T-shirts at dirt cheap prices
- Automatic membership in CFMS through our Club
- Members can participate on committees and in Board Meetings
- Rock & mineral displays, and identification, at every general meeting
- Donation rock table with prizes
- Opportunity to vote in Club elections
- A great social, family atmosphere at Club events
- Educational (and fun) field trips to collect and learn
The Sierra Pelona Rock Club has a variable dues structure that is beneficial to all members and the welfare of the Club. There are no dues for Pebble Pups or Life Members. If you have questions, please see our Membership Directors, or our Club’s Treasurer.
There is a one time initiation fee of $2.00 for all new memberships over the age of 18. Initiation fee for ages 8-18 is $1.00
Annual dues are $25.00, which are due by January 31st.
New members shall receive a pro-rated rate until the first January 1st of their membership.